Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

OMG! February Bites the Dust!

My February OMG! project is done, and I am reminded of just how nice it is to have a finish =^..^=

"Fall" side of QAYG Reversible Table Mat

BUT, of course ... it's even nicer to have TWO finishes in one .....

"Christmas" side of QAYG Reversible Table Mat

And Bonus ... this UFO is not even a year old!  

Although I was already pretty familiar with the fun quilt-as-you-go (QAYG) technique, I decided to make a new runner when my guild offered a small class at the monthly sit-n-sew last year.  I love supporting our small classes at the guild!  Without the Music City Quilt Guild and its caring, sharing members, my world today would almost certainly be a very different place!  So whenever I'm able to come together with my guild friends and promote the art of quilting, I'm there!

Unfortunately, as is often the case with most of these one-day classes, I never got back to it and it became this....


I have so many of these little half-done projects sitting around!  And my guild's UFO Challenge and the OMG! blog party are perfect opportunities for me to whittle them down to this....

Yay - the EMPTY project box!!!!

Some of you may have noticed that I originally called this the QAYG Reversible "Runner" - any eagle eye readers out there?  Well, yes, this started out as a runner with six blocks.  But try as I might, I just couldn't arrange those six blocks so that they had a pleasing pattern I liked - they were always off balance.....


I was left with two choices:  make two more blocks so I could complete two large squares, which would have made a really large runner; or leave two of them out and make it a smaller square .....  I spent less than two seconds on this decision LOL!!!  And just like that, - voila!!!  It became the QAYG Reversible Table Mat instead!  Those two extra blocks will become candle mats or thread catchers or something simple and cute.



The last thing I wanted to show you is that I used a new binding technique on this project.  Double fabric to match each side of the quilt!  All machine sewn and surprisingly easy to do too.


It did take me a little bit to figure out the measurements of what to cut for each fabric and how to attach it to the quilt, but in the end it worked really well and I'm very happy with the results.


Now, be sure to head on over to Red Letter Quilts HERE and check out all the lovely finishes for this month!!!



Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=



14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your February finish!
    Way to go!
    Love the 2 colour binding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is pretty (love the two sided binding) and those blocks got used rather than sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool binding. I wouldn't mind seeing how you did that.. :-) Congrats on the Feb. finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That binding is perfect for your table mat. I'd like to try it sometime when I have something truly reversible. Was it something you would consider for a quilt as large as a bed quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! For your finish! And such a fun one, too. That binding is awesome! I'm going to have to find a tutorial on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so pretty--and I love that it is reversible.
    You are a wise woman, choosing to ditch a couple of blocks over making two more. No brainer, right?
    The binding looks great! I need to get brave and try to do more machine binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the double sided fabric. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great table mat! Love the way it is reversible and has the binding to match both sides. As for that empty box, I know that feeling....I love having an empty box!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful mat. Really like the two-sided idea and a finish...wow.....I need to experience that...giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice finishes. I use the reversible bindings a lot on my quilts. I could have saved you some time in the cut measurements had I known you were making one. I like the empty UFO box. Wish I had more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work! I agree, February flew by even with an extra day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! A finish and an empty bin to fill again! Doesn't get any better than that! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, that empty project box cracks me up! Hopefully you have filled it up again:) Congrats on your cute finish!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...