Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sizzix Fabric Cutter Review

Thanks to all of you who commented on the new Sizzix cutting area My Guy put in my sewing studio!  

Having a dedicated area for cutting is amazing!!!  I've never had that kind of room for sewing before, and believe me I am so grateful for it now!  I suppose there is something to be said for the Empty Nest, right?



The question most of you asked was for my opinion on the difference between the Sizzix and the Accuquilt machines.  So I thought I would share on a post for all of you :)

I really haven't used an Accuquilt Go cutter, but I have friends who own one and they are very happy with it.  I have to tell you though that I LOVE my Sizzix Big Shot Pro!  I purchased it because I got an amazing deal on it, and it does everything I would want a cutter to do.  The only cutter that can hold a candle to it is the Accuquilt Studio, but the cost of Studio dies takes my breath away!!!  I can cut very small pieces from a 6" die or up to 5 strips at a time if I'm using the extended tray and large dies - such a time saver!  And they are perfect every time.  I waste very little fabric because I cut my fabric to a size just a bit larger than the piece I am cutting before I put it in the cutter.  Some waste, yes, but I find that my pieces are more accurate so no waste from mistaken cuts or time spent thinking about where I need to cut each time.  It's definitely worth it for me!  What I may waste in fabric I more than make up for in time and the lack of stress.  And don't forget the lack of stress on my hands from rotary cutting!

I can also use any die with my machine, both Sizzix and Accuquilt dies.  However, the Accuquilt Go can only use Accuquilt dies, not Sizzix.  I felt it gave me more options.  I think Accuquilt has more die options, but since I can use any of them in my Sizzix with an adaptor, that's not a problem.

I cut Easy Street almost exclusively with dies..... see my posts HERE and HERE ...



..... most of Bonnie Hunter's quilts can be cut using a die cutter!

At our last Guild meeting, Scrap Queen Pam, shared that she purchased a Go Baby for the smaller dies and loves that it is transportable.  I have to say, I was intrigued and will store that in my little brain for the next time Joann's has a sale :*)


So those are my thoughts - I would love to hear any of your thoughts or experiences too.

Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=



13 comments:

  1. I've never used either cutter, but it was interesting to get your thoughts, in case I ever do.
    BTW, I was very sad when my nest emptied--and when I decided to make lemonade from the lemons and put up a design wall in an empty bedroom, suddenly I had a sewing room. That was a luxury I had previously never dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own either cutter nor used one. Thank you for sharing your opinion on both options. I always thought one would be nice for our sewing classes as some have difficutly with the rotary - I cut a lot for others. But it is the expense that has kept me using the rotary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, your review was enlightening and sounds like it is the better of the two you mentioned. When I worked at the quilt shop we had two Accuquilt Studio models and did a lot of cutting for kits and BOM. They were easy to use, but you are right, the dies are a bit pricey. In fact, I think if you bought so much $$ worth of dies, they gave you the machine! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you think -- more bang for the buck. I couldn't afford an Accuquilt Studio so got a GO. I found it was so hard to remember I had it, figure out how to fold the fabric to reduce waste .... well, you get the picture. So I gave it to my DIL to make cutting safer for GD on her projects. Now I find myself wishing I had a quick way to cut scraps where I don't care about waste anyway. Maybe I'll ask GD to bring it along when she visits this summer and we'll have a scrap cutting day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your thoughts on the Sizzix, and that quilt is lovely....these cutters sure make life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, I bought my Go Baby because Joann's had it on sale for 30% off and I was also able to use my 10% discount on it. Because of limited space in my sewing room, my Sizzix Big Shot Pro is set up in a different room than my sewing room and I was walking myself to death back and forth between the rooms when using it. I had also heard that Accuquilt had improved the Go and the Go Baby so I was intrigued to try one out. I had previously had a Go and didn't like it at all. I asked the clerk before I bought the Go Baby to make sure I could take it back if I didn't like it, and she said I could. I was able to get it for under $70, and I can tell you, it was love at first crank! :) I love it's portability and I can use it on all of my smaller 6" wide dies and I can set it up on my big board while using it. Since getting my die cutting systems, when I see I quilt that I think I want to make, I look to see how I can convert it to cutting it out with the dies. So much more accurate and very little waste and less frustration on my part as far as cutting and piecing goes. I still love my Sizzix for the larger dies and especially for cross cutting strips after having sewn them together for units such as nine patches and four patches. My hands feel so much better now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your setup for the cutter. It is nice to have a designated area for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are ever considering a smaller more portable cutter, look into the Fiskars Fuse. @ the size of the Go! But available at Joann's on sale for @ $90 reg price $150, fairly frequently. Like you I have A Sizzix BSP, love it because with adapters I can use all dies by all manufacturers- same with the Fikars Fuse! Much better value for the $!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a go baby and I do love it but it is limiting -- I have been considering an upgrade to accucutter but now I think I'm going to look more at the sizzix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teresa I don't have a Sizzix but I do have a Go! and I've just spent three days cutting up a huge basket of scraps. Huge. :) I cut 160 tumblers, about a hundred 5" squares and more than that 3 1/2" squares and triangles to make 3 1/2" squares. Plus a hundred or so stars, circles and "critters". It was a lot of work but I can make several quilts with these. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teresa, do you have to put your fabric on some type of stablizer to cut fabric with a Sizzex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I could not email you so I hope you get this reply. You don't have to do anything to your fabric to cut with the Sizzix machine. Just place your fabrics on the blade platform, cover with the acrylic sheet and roll it through! It's that simple!

      Delete
  12. The role of prayers in securing and maintaining your peace cannot be over-emphasized. A life without prayers is one full of troubles and that will soon be terminated. A prayerful person knows better not to play with his prayer time since experience has taught him that he rules over the devil on his knees. This article emphasizes the importance of prayer in maintaining your peace of mind.
    islamic knowledge

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...