Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Killing 3 Link-ups with 1 Post!

I've been SO busy this weekend!  We had lots on our agenda around the house, plus I had a lot I wanted to accomplish in the sewing studio too.  Why are the weekends never long enough???

First up, I finally managed to find time to dig into my BLUE fabrics and get this TOTALLY CUTE little Hootie owl ready for buttonhole stitching.....


I took everyone's advice and put the BLUE owl on the moon so I could use lots of bright, bold blues and still have them show up considering the background :)  If you didn't catch my last post on Hootie, you can see my planned layout HERE.

Close-up of the fabrics used

Since these cute owls will be sitting on a tree branch in the final layout, I'll have to leave the bottom of each owl unfused so the feet can be inserted and sit on the branch instead of the background.


I also had to measure to be sure there was 1/4" between the edge and the bottom of the owl to make room for the branch, which will basically be a brown sashing strip :)


When I got that done, I really couldn't resist pulling out some fabrics for another block I want to make for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I won't use scraps for this one, but I will follow the colors each month as posted by Angela at SoScrappy and make 9 blocks for the quilt.  I'll show you more about that when I have at least one block made :)

Auditioning BLUES and background fabrics for another RSC project.....
I'm linking these projects up with

Soscrppy

***************

Next up, my #2 priority was to finish up the January Bertie's Year BOM block....and I finally got that done while watching the NFL Playoffs today - Yippee Skippee!!!!


Sorry, this picture was taken at night in my studio, so there's a lot of glare!  But I'm SO darn tickled with this cute little wall hanging!  I promised to share a little about the finishing called for in the pattern too...

First, you sew 1" strips all around the finished piece.... 
(yes, it's crooked!  I never pretended to be a photographer LOL!!!)


Then you sew it right sides together with batting between like an envelope, 
leaving a slot at the bottom to pull it right sides out, 
and whip stitch the hole closed by hand.....



With the next Bertie, I will leave this hole at the middle of the backing.  
They have you seam the backing anyway, why not leave the hole there 
and not have to get all those edges perfect???

Then you sew all around it on the seam line of the 1" strips, as shown here....
Voila!  An amazing fake binding effect!!!

I love the Stitch-in-the-Ditch walking foot on my Janome 6600!!!
Here's a final close-up of January Bertie and her good friend, Snow Ghost :*)



I'm almost finished with February Bertie too!!!!


I'm really not fond of my embroidery stitching around the seams ..... 
But it's going to have to do!
It's a definite learning curve.....

PS - that's a leaf stalk sticking out of Mr. Bertie's butt...
Just in case you were wondering.... ;*D

February's Bertie has MUCH less hand work to be done, which makes me a happy girl!  
I thought I would never be finished with the January project.  
I gave a little yell of Hooray when the last snowflake was stitched!!!

I'll be linking these projects up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching!

Slow Sunday Stitching


**************

And 3rd - well, it's time for Design Wall Monday, 
so I'll be linking this post up to
Judy's Patchwork Times!

Patchwork Times

I'm also linking up with Connie at her Tuesday Linky Party HERE!
And Sarah's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop HERE!

Hope you all have a lovely week!!!!
I'm buried in EQ7 right now, so I'll be back as soon as I can :*)

Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=

26 comments:

  1. Owlie looks great on the moon - really pops! And your Bertie is just lovely. Yes, turning thru the back will make it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Bertie blocks look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your owl - too cute! Bertie is a humdinger :) You have been one busy, creative lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got lots accomplished. Your Bertie's turned out lovely as well as your owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Bertie blocks are fabulous, as is that adorable Hootie project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that owl is even more adorable than I thought it would be! And I cannot wait to see what you're going to do with those fabrics you pulled ... I'm sure it will be gorgeous as always. Wow, that EQ7 must be a toughie ... hope you're able to make some progress so you will have some more delightful eye candy for us. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go on finishing g Bertie. Hootie is just too adorable. Wondering what all those lovely blues are for? Something lovely I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that Bertie is really getting around, isn't she??!! LOL! They are both darling blocks...I may be feeling sorry that I passed on this one. Maybe. Hootie in blue is beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hootie is just too darn cute!!! Love how he looks on the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and all your other blocks are fabulous! Wow that's a lot of blues and b&w - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hootie is just the cutest ever. I am smiling looking at him. And your Bertie’s are wonderful. You must be so happy with what you have done. You have been one busy gal. I could never move so quickly and accomplish so much in such a short time. Kudos to you. genie

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the bright-eyed owl with the moon!
    And Bertie is too stinkin' cute, no matter the month! Very clever finishing method!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH my goodness you make me laugh ~ You better attempt a "leafectomy" for that poor Mr. Bertie!
    Can't wait to see what you do with your beautiful blue collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, yes, I was wondering. Great blocks, Teresa! Love the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. Your hootie owl is totally cute! You chose terrific fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work and love all your hand work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Bertie blocks. I'm jealous. I wanted to make them too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw the Hootie block in the Quiltmaker magazine and I love what you have done with it,

    ReplyDelete
  19. So lovely! :)
    Greetings from Finland!
    Hugs, Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  20. That owl is sew cute! I really need to start doing the seam down the backing thing. I never seem to get the 'unstitched' part straight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That Hootie is very cute, but then so is Bertie. What are you going to do with the Bertie squares?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy to meet you. I want to be able to do applique like you do . . . you are amazing.
    Your newest follower and blogging sister, Connie:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE your Bertie's Year pieces!! I have to keep stopping myself from signing up for this BOM - you're pictures are making my resolve waver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. THat owl is so cute. I love owls xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also love books seems like I always have I have 3 bookcases full. Get them like you at yard sales or the library has a shelf for sale. Trade back and forth with friends. Keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...